Skip to main content

Mark Coleman, the first-ever UFC heavyweight champion, is on the mend after saving the lives of his parents from a house fire in his native Ohio earlier this week.

The UFC Hall of Famer was airlifted to hospital in Toledo following the overnight incident during which he was awoken by his dog, Hammer, to discover that a fire had ignited in the kitchen of the Coleman residence. He successfully rescued both of his parents from the inferno before returning in an attempt to save his dog.

Sadly, the dog did not survive the event and Coleman succumbed to smoke inhalation, requiring his emergency transportation to a medical facility. After performing tests Coleman, who was initially intubated and sedated, has begun breathing on his own and was returned to consciousness.

In a video posted to social media, Coleman was reunited with his daughters, Morgan and Kenzie, and he spoke of his happiness at the successful rescue of his parents — but expressed regret at being unable to save the family dog.

“I’m the happiest man in the world,” Coleman said in the clip.

“I swear to God I’m so lucky. I can’t believe my parents are alive. I had to make a decision. I got out of my room and went to the door and it was already horrible and I couldn’t breathe. I almost had to go outside and I went back in and got them. I can’t believe it. I got them and I couldn’t find Hammer.”

A GoFundMe crowdfunding page has been established to help pay for Coleman’s medical bills. As of early on Friday, it has raised $92,000 of its $100,000 goal.